Single Conductor Portable Cord
About Single Conductor Portable Cord
WesBell Electronics sells many different types of single-conductor power cables including welding cable, super welding cable, Type W cable, stage lighting cable and diesel locomotive (DLO) cable. These cables can power some of the most important machinery and equipment that exists in a facility, keeping businesses and essential operations moving.
There are several different types of single-conductor cables, so it is critical to ensure you’ve got the right one before implementing it in your next project.
Types of Single-Conductor Portable Cords
When portable cord comes in particularly large sizes, it is considered an industrial power cable. They’re similar to extension cords, but are much bigger and more durable. These large power cables are meant for heavy-duty machinery and large construction sites requiring a lot of power.
They can come in a wide variety of configurations and sizes. All cables in this category have just one thick conductor. Some have thicker or stronger insulations or jackets than others to meet the demands of specific environments.
The different types of single-conductor portable cord include:
- Type W power cables: Type W power cables are available in versions with multiple or single conductors. They offer 2,000 volts of power in a heavy-duty dual insulation with polyester braid reinforcements. It is available from 8 American Wire Gauge (AWG) to 500 thousandths of circular mils (MCM) and is resistant to water, ultraviolet (UV) rays, high temperatures, chemicals, fire and other extreme environmental conditions, including pressure.
- Welding cable: Welding cable is flexible and rubber-insulated with a rugged jacket for industrial welding setups. Its sizes range from 6 AWG to 500 MCM. Standard welding cable is approved for 600 volts and up to 90°C and it offers high resilience against abrasion and tensile stress.
- Super welding cable: As you may have guessed, super welding cable is similar to its standard counterpart, but it is made with Super Vu-Tron jacketing designed by General Cable. It provides superior flexibility and oil resistance for more heavy-duty industrial environments. It offers the same 600 volts and 90°C temperature rating of standard welding cable and is available from 6 AWG to 4/0.
- DLO cable: DLO cable comes in a wide range of sizes, all the way from 8 AWG to 777 MCM. This powerful cable supplies up to 2,000 volts in demanding outdoor environments. It can handle up to 90°C and provide resistance to chemicals, flames and UV rays. It is primarily used for locomotives, but you’ll also find it on large earth-moving equipment, in shipyards and as motor leads.
- Stage lighting cable: Stage lighting cable provides electrical connections for many of the lights and equipment used in the entertainment industry. It uses Super Vu-Tron insulation and can withstand the heavy foot traffic that can occur backstage. It is rated for 600 volts and 105°C and features resistance to chemicals, flame, water and UV light. It is similar to welding cable, but comes with additional approvals and is available in sizes from 6 AWG to 4/0.
If you’re looking for something smaller than these single-conductor cords, we also have portable cord products like SOOW cable, the letters of which stand for “service,” “oil-resistant” and “water-resistant.” These cables are similar to extension cords and used on smaller job sites for up to 600 volts. A similar option is the SJOOW cable, which is for lower-voltage applications up to 300 volts. Since it has a thinner jacket, it meets many customers’ needs for a thinner cable. These cables are similar to Type W cable, but less rugged.
Type G-GC cable is the same as Type W cable but made with ground wires and a ground check. The multiconductor version of Type W has the same size ground wire with green insulation and it’s included in the conductor count.
The type of cable required is often determined by the amount of power needed. As you’ve seen, these cords come in all different AWG sizes and insulation thicknesses. If you know that the cable is going to receive more impact than usual, let us know so we can get you something with a more durable jacket. It will cost a little bit more but will be worth it for the added durability.
Single Conductor Portable Cords From WesBell
Here at WesBell, we’ve been supplying our customers with quality cables for over 30 years. We know all the ups and downs of single-conductor portable cords for our industrial clients. If you’re not sure what kind of cable your application calls for, just reach out to one of our skilled experts. We’ll go over your project and help you determine which type of wiring will best meet your needs.
In addition to selection assistance, we also offer a range of wire processing services like twisting, stripping and assembling wire harnesses, to save you time and get your project done quick.