UFB Cable (Underground Feeder Cable)
About UFB Cable (Underground Feeder Cable)
WesBell sells the South Wire brand UFB cable. It’s used for outdoor electrical wiring applications. The UFB cables can go directly underground without conduit. They come in 2 and 3 conductor, in awg sizes 14, 12 and 10. We also sell the larger UFB cables in the 8 and 6 awg by the foot.
We understand that you have exact lengths and want to limit waste, so we allow you to purchase any length at all on the larger Romex® wire and UFB cable.
If you only need the singles wires instead of the cable see our THHN/THWN electrical wire. See our power cable section if you need something larger in a rubber jacket such as Welding Cable or locomotive cable. Please call us with any specific requirements you might have.
UF-B Underground Cables – A Closer Scrutiny
There are several kinds of Underground UF-B Cable available for purchase. Among these kinds, the Southwire type which is being sold by WesBell is a cut above the rest. For this reason, it is necessary to understand the technical details, specification, approval and application of this cable to know why consumers opted to buy the product.
In terms of specifications and approval, the Southwire type Underground UF-B Cable meets the different standards set by the UL Standard 493, UL Standard 83, Federal specifications A-A 59544 and the standards set by the National Electrical Code.
In addition, the Southwire type is made with 2 to 3 conductor cables. Moreover, you have the discretion to pair it with a ground wire or not. The conductors are made from bare copper which comes in three varieties. It can be solid, soft or annealed and compressed stranded copper. In addition, there are phase conductors which have the following features:
- They are insulated by a polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
- They are nylon jacketed to provide additional layer of protection against extreme weather conditions such as very hot weather or humid weather that causes moisture and fungi. In addition, since it is insulated, there is no more need to spend extra cash on insulation including wood or pipes
- They used color codes for fast and easy identification.
Moreover, the Southwire type is available in different part number. Some of these can be found below:
- UF-B 14/2 It is 14 awg and contains 2 conductors. It has a solid strand with a ground wire size of 14. The weight per 1, 000 feet is 70 pounds.
- UF-B 12/2 It is 12 awg and contains 2 conductors. It has a solid strand with a ground wire size of 12. The weight per 1, 000 feet is 95 pounds.
- UF-B 10/2 This cable is 10 awg and it also has 2 conductors. It has a ground wire size of 10 bearing the weight of 138 pounds per 1, 000 feet. It contains a solid strand.
- UF-B 8/2 This cable is 8 awg and it also has 2 conductors. It has a ground wire size of 10 bearing the weight of 222 pounds per 1, 000 feet. It contains seven strands.
- UF-B 6/2 This type is 6 awg with 2 conductors. The weight per 1,000 feet is 303 pounds and the ground wire size is 10. It also has seven strands.
As what mentioned, the Southwire type has three conductors. An example is the UF-B 8/3 and the UF-B 14/3. The former is 8 awg and with 3 conductors. It has seven strands with a ground wire size of 10. The weight per 1,000 feet is 344 pounds. On the other hand, the latter is 14 awg with 3 conductors. The weight per 1,000 feet is 96 pounds and the ground wire size is 14. It has a solid strand.
Ergo, the Southwire type of Underground UF-B Cable provides wide arrays of selection which will definitely suit the different needs of consumers.