About Xtra-Guard® 2
Alpha Wire Xtra-Guard® 2 Cable
For the grimy and tough yet incredibly important wiring environments of the world, there’s Xtra-Guard® 2. This high-performing cable was built to withstand abrasive, messy environments where oils, solvents, water and other threats are present. It comes from the trusted manufacturers at Alpha Wire, so a high build quality and dependability come standard. And when you buy from WesBell Electronics, we make it easy to get the cables you need, how you need them, at cost-effective prices.
What Is Xtra-Guard 2?
Alpha Xtra-Guard 2 electronic cables offer great resistance to oils, fuels, solvents and water. They have two to three times the tensile strength and two to three times the tear and abrasion resistance when compared to conventional polyvinyl chloride (PVC) cables. Xtra-Guard 2 has color-coded semi-rigid PVC insulation on the conductors with a special extra-rugged polyurethane jacket for long-term wear and tear.
Common applications for Xtra-Guard 2 are in computer numerical control (CNC) machine centers, military ground support systems, packaging machinery, automotive assembly plant operations, petrochemical plant operations and geophysical exploration equipment. They come in 300-volt, 600-volt, shielded, unshielded, multiconductor and multipair varieties. Alpha Wire’s Supra-Shield® is another option, offering excellent electromagnetic interference (EMI) protection.
The Benefits of Xtra-Guard 2
Xtra-Guard 2 wire can be a powerful addition to many tough environments, as it offers:
- Exceptional abrasion resistance: Where mechanical abuse is typical, the abrasion resistance of Xtra-Guard 2 and its rugged polyurethane jacket can keep critical operations moving. It also offers extreme resistance to physical and cut-through damage.
- Resistance to many threats: Whether your environment involves oils, solvents or fuels, this cable can provide peace of mind thanks to very good resistance to many different substances.
- Excellent ultraviolet (UV) light resistance: If your cables are going outside, you’ll need to ensure that the sun’s rays aren’t going to damage them. Xtra-Guard 2 offers excellent resistance to UV light.
- Excellent EMI protection: With the Alpha Wire Supra-Shield specification, Xtra-Guard 2 cables provide excellent protection from noise and EMI.
- Wide operating temperature range: Xtra-Guard 2 is suitable for temperatures between -20°C and 90°C or 105°C, depending on the configuration.
- Compliance with National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 79: If your application calls for NFPA 79 specifications, these wires can answer the call for industrial machinery needs.
- Flame resistance: Xtra-Guard 2 meets flame resistance requirements for UL VW-1 and CSA FT-1.
With Xtra-Guard 2, you can meet a range of needs through various shielding configurations. Unshielded cables have small diameters and are great for small spaces where noise concerns aren’t a big issue. Foil-shielded cables are still on the smaller side but have added protection for moderate EMI requirements, while Supra-Shield cables offer exceptional EMI protection via an aluminum, polyester and aluminum foil layer and a tinned copper braid. Other configuration options include choices between 300 volts and 600 volts and multiconductor or multipair designs.
These cables come in a variety of colors for easy identification and safety improvements. They also meet important standards for performance and installation requirements, making them a reliable choice for a host of applications and installations.
Your Source for Alpha Wire Xtra-Guard 2
Xtra-Guard 2 cables are an excellent choice for tough environments that still call for flexibility. If that sounds right for your project, WesBell Electronics has you covered. We’re a trusted supplier of Alpha Wire cables, including varieties of Xtra-Guard. In addition to a wide selection of wires and cables for every application, we provide a host of processing services and can take care of many preparation tasks, like cutting, stripping and tin-dipping, so your cables are ready to go when they reach you.
All of this comes at affordable prices and the fast, friendly service you can expect from our family-owned and -operated business. To explore our Xtra-Guard 2 cables, click the links above! You can also reach out to our knowledgeable team with any questions you may have.