Hook Up Wire
Multiconductor Portable Cord
Single Conductor Portable Cord
Multiconductor Electronic Cables
Heat Shrink Tubing
Burndy® Lugs and Crimping Tools
Speaker Wire 12/2 (C1363)starting at $0.74 / ft.
Speaker Wire 14/2 (C1361)starting at $0.32 / ft.
Speaker Wire 16/2 (C1358)starting at $0.26 / ft.
Speaker Wire 18/2 (C1357)starting at $0.16 / ft.
Speaker Wire 20/2 (C1360)starting at $0.18 / ft.
Speaker Wire 22/2 (C1362)starting at $0.10 / ft.
Speaker Wire 24/2 (C1356)starting at $0.09 / ft.
Speaker wire is a staple in just about any home theater setup. Despite its simplicity, you have a lot of options for speaker wire. You’ll need to carefully compare them to ensure you get the best signal. The right wire can make or break your system and help you ensure crystal clear, accurate sound transmission. With all that in mind, let’s take a look at how these different options compare.
What Is Speaker Wire?
The basic construction of speaker wire involves two copper wires, one of which is left bare and one of which is tinned, providing clear designation for each one. You may find silver-cored wire out there, but it is more expensive and not usually necessary for most applications. The cable’s conductors are bonded together, so they can easily peel apart during installation. They are surrounded by clear polyvinyl chloride (PVC) insulation.
WesBell Electronics carries speaker wire from American Wire Gauge (AWG) sizes 12-24. All options are approved by the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) directive and by UL, LLC.
You’ll find speaker wire across many audio applications, including:
- Hi-fi and stereo speaker wire.
- Home theater setups.
- Digital audio systems.
Note that not all speaker wire is rated for in-wall use.
Selecting Your Speaker Wire
There are a few different properties that will affect the performance of your speaker. The most important measure is the resistance of the wire, which needs to be as low as possible. Low-resistance wire is better able to pull power from the source through the speaker wire, supporting more sound. You can find lower levels of resistance with thicker wires, which provide more space for the signal to move through and helps improve sound quality.
Other things to consider include:
- Speaker impedance: Low-impedance speakers, such as those with 4 or 6 ohms, typically call for thicker speaker wire.
- Wire length: Always remember that the distance where you want those cables to pass through has a great impact on the size of the wires. Longer distances will increase resistance, so you may need to compensate with thicker wires.
- Connection types: If you’ll be connecting and disconnecting your wire, you’ll want to pay attention to the type of connector you use, which includes spade, pin and banana plugs. Pin connectors are straight or angled, spade plugs are u-shaped and offer a very tight connection, and banana plugs are straight with added width in the middle for a tighter fit. Check which type your speaker calls for before purchasing. You can also use bare wire, but many people prefer to use connectors for ease-of-use.
- Installation knowledge: If you are not sure about the installation procedures that you should follow for your speaker wires, you should always consult the experts. Even though you might pay a small amount depending on the complexity of your installation, taking this step can improve safety, appearance and performance.
Speaker wire can be a contentious debate amongst audiophiles, so, while it’s not too hard to make it work well, if you’re after the best sound physically possible, you may want to do some more in-depth research to learn about the nuances of this kind of wire. You’ll also want to do some shopping around. Comparative reviews are very helpful in this kind of search. Various online stores may provide the same product but the only difference is the cost. Take care to identify these materials, so you can find the best possible price.
The internet provides a lot of useful information to help you develop a good home entertainment system, and speaker wires are an important part of that setup. They can help you enjoy first-class music and comprehensive audio from whatever you’re playing.
Speaker Wire From WesBell
WesBell Electronics creates quality speaker wire and strives to help customers find the best balance of price and performance. Your home theater system deserves exceptional audio, and the right speaker wire can make all the difference. If you’re not sure which gauge is best for your application, our staff can help with the decision. Just reach out to us and tell us a little bit about your setup, and our experts can take care of the rest.
Browse through our selection of speaker wire at the links above or contact us for assistance!