About Xtra-Guard® Flexible
Working with high-flex or continuous-flex applications? Alpha Wire has the answer with Xtra-Guard® Flex. This high-performing cable offers exceptional reliability and quality in even the most demanding conditions. It comes in a variety of styles to suit specific applications and is a great choice for these critical tasks.
What Is Xtra-Guard Flex?
Alpha Xtra-Guard Flexible Cables deliver high-speed dependability along with the flexibility needed for difficult and complex cable positioning. Xtra-Guard Flexible comes in a standard-flex and high-flex option in 300-volt, 600-volt, shielded and unshielded versions.
Xtra-Guard Flexible is most commonly used in applications requiring increased flexibility, machine tools, computer numerical control (CNC) machine centers, data processing equipment, robotics, cable track installations and much more. It comes in standard-flex and continuous-flex styles with options for 300 or 600 volts, shielded or unshielded designs, and multipair or multiconductor options. The cables span American Wire Gauge (AWG) sizes 20 through 10.
Types of Xtra-Guard Flex
Common types of cable flexing include bending the cable in the application, torsion twisting while the machine is running and continuous bending flex. Alpha Wire manufactures a cable specifically for each type of flexible application:
- Flexible control cable: This cable uses flexible polyvinyl chloride (PVC) insulation and jackets and is designed for C-Track installations or light-to-moderate flexing applications. It supports up to 1 million flex life cycles. Flexible control cables come in tinned copper braiding and unshielded options in AWG sizes 20-2.
- Flexible torsion control cable: With Hytrel® insulation and a rugged polyurethane jacket, this cable can twist and turn in random robotic flexing applications, with ±360° per meter. It comes in unshielded and tinned copper spiral shielding options between 24 and 10 AWG.
- Flexible motor supply cable: Ease of handling and flexibility make the flexible motor supply cable great for motor and drive applications. It has a PVC and nylon insulation and nylon jacketing and meets the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 79 for industrial machinery. The cable has foil-braid shielding and comes in AWG sizes 16-6.
- Continuous flex control cable: For extreme flexing environments, this continuous flex control cable has a PVC insulation and jacket for supporting up to 14 million flex life cycles. It also delivers excellent service life for heavy-duty, high-speed cable track use. Available in unshielded and tinned copper braid varieties, it can be purchased in AWG sizes 20-2.
- Continuous flex data cable: This cable has a small diameter for tight industrial spaces while providing up to 6 million flex life cycles. Its shielding options include unshielded, aluminum and mylar tape, and foil braiding. All options are available in AWG sizes 28-22.
Except for the 300-volt continuous flex data cable, all cables are 600 volts. Regardless of style, Xtra-Guard Flex cables offer resistance to oil, solvents and chemicals and feature a rounded geometry for liquid-tight installations according to IP67 or National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) 6 standards.
View our product pages to learn more about specifications for each of these cables, including approvals and temperature ranges.
Working With WesBell
If Xtra-Guard Flex sounds like the right choice for your next project, the pros at WesBell can help you get it in ready-to-use condition. We have a wide range of cables and wires for sale and offer a variety of custom processing solutions such as cutting, trimming and stripping so you can spend less time preparing cables and more time focusing on the big picture. Not sure what you need? Our knowledgeable team is happy to help you find the right cable type for your work.
Explore Xtra-Guard Flex at the links above, and feel free to contact us with any questions!