About Xtra-Guard® 5
For the most demanding of applications, there’s Xtra-Guard® 5 from Alpha Wire. This powerful, rugged and extremely protective cable is suitable for highly regulated industries and clean environments where sterility is essential. It works well across temperature ranges and meets an array of specifications. WesBell Electronics can help you get Xtra-Guard 5 cables at affordable prices with all the customization you need.
What Are Xtra-Guard 5 Cables?
Alpha Wire Xtra-Guard 5 electronic cables are fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP) polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) cables for unmatched performance at temperatures from -80°C to 200°C. They are impervious to all fuels, chemicals, solvents, acids and water. They also have a 20-30% smaller diameter than conventional cables and a low-friction jacket for ease of cable routing. They feature fully color-coded FEP PTFE insulated conductors and are available in 300-volt cable styles with UL and CSA approvals.
Xtra-Guard 5 is most commonly used in military electronic applications, mining instruments and controls, steel, glass and metal foundries, food and beverage plants, clean room environments and refinery cracker unit controls. It comes in 300-volt, multiconductor, multipair, shielded and unshielded options in American Wire Gauge (AWG) sizes 24-14. Xtra-Guard 5 also comes in a Supra-Shield® variety, which uses Alpha Wire’s unique material design for exceptional electromagnetic interference (EMI) protection.
The Benefits of Xtra-Guard 5
These cables are the go-to for unmatched temperature and chemical resistance. Some of the benefits you get with Xtra-Guard 5 cables include:
- Rugged protection: Whether you deal with chemicals, solvents, acids, fuels, water or ultraviolet rays, Xtra-Guard 5’s excellent protection can block them all.
- Wide temperature range: For use in hot and cold environments, the unmatched temperature range of these cables makes them the perfect fit for extreme conditions.
- Easy routing and stripping: The low-friction FEP jacket makes it easy to route wires, while the nylon ripcord design provides quick and simple stripping.
- Class 1 clean room use: These strictly maintained clean rooms call for suitable, sanitizable cables, and Xtra-Guard 5 fits the bill.
- Appropriate for food- and medical-grade use: When sterilized, these cables have been recognized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for both food- and medical-grade use.
- Excellent protection from EMI: If using the Supra-Shield version of Xtra-Guard 5, you can find excellent EMI protection for high-noise environments.
- Direct burial options: With very good protection in direct burial environments, Xtra-Guard 5 can be used for these projects.
Xtra-Guard 5 comes in a few different configurations to provide options for various installations. If noise isn’t much of an issue and you need a thinner cable, the unshielded option is a good choice. For moderate EMI protection and a lightweight cable, we offer a foil-shielded version. Finally, for the most intense shielding requirements, there’s Supra-Shield. This triple-layer material is made of aluminum, polyester and aluminum foil and uses a braided sheath of tinned copper to deliver excellent shielding across high and low frequencies.
Xtra-Guard 5 comes in several colors for easy identification and safety, and we can cut the cable to any odd length for sale.
Your Source for Xtra-Guard 5
If Xtra-Guard 5 cables fit your purposes, WesBell Electronics can help you get them. We’re a family-owned and -operated company and a one-stop shop for just about any type of cable you might need, including these high-performing cables from Alpha Wire and the rest of the Xtra-Guard lineup. We also offer plenty of wire processing services, like cutting, stripping and termination, to save you time on the job, as well as free shipping on orders over $500.
We strive to deliver these important tools at affordable prices, and our responsive, knowledgeable team is always happy to help you find the right supplies for your work. Check out Xtra-Guard 5 cables at the links above, or contact us to speak with a skilled team member!