Oct 27, 2023
What Is PTFE Wire?
PTFE wire is made of fluorinated thermoplastic insulation that is flexible, nonreactive and hydrophobic. That means it can bend extremely well without damaging the wire or the coating, and it resists ingress by chemicals and water. These qualities are critical in a wide range of devices.
A more extensive list of PTFE’s protective properties includes resistance to:
- Ultraviolet radiation.
- Water and humidity.
- Chemicals, including alcohol, acids, aromatic hydrocarbons, solvents and alkalies.
- Extremely high temperatures.
- Signal interference.
This shielded wire is also chemically inert, has a low coefficient of friction and is not subject to memory or creeping problems. Plus, it features a low dielectric constant, a factor of reliability that is required for many medical applications and also makes it popular in printed circuit boards (PCBs).
PTFE wire’s temperature performance is also essential, as it offers strong performance and durability even in temperatures from minus 60℃ to 200℃, thereby lending itself to many high-heat jobs.
We carry PTFE wire from Alpha Wire in a wide range of sizes and 10 colors. These include black, blue, brown, gray, green, orange, red, purple, white and yellow.
Several organizations have provided PTFE shielded cable with their seals of approval, including:
- UL LLC.
- Military entities.
- The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA).
How Is PTFE Wire Used?
Thanks to its performance in extreme conditions, PTFE wire is common in sensitive applications such as those in:
- Medical environments: With its chemically inert, nontoxic and biocompatible design, along with its low dielectric constant and non-flaking finish, miniature PTFE wire performs excellently in medical instrumentation and devices.
- Military and aerospace applications: Precision, chemical resistance and overall reliability make PTFE a great choice for these sensitive and essential jobs.
- Oil and gas: Oil and gas industries need trustworthy cabling that can stand up to high temperatures, chemicals and ozone.
- Automotive: Similarly, vehicle wiring must be dependable, even when subject to high heat, friction, moisture and corrosive chemicals.
- General-purpose assemblies: You might also find this wire in general-purpose applications as appliance wiring and power supply lead wires.
Of course, this list is not exhaustive. You can find PTFE-shielded cable wherever trustworthy performance in extreme conditions is needed. Industrial and commercial applications are also common.
Trust WesBell Electronics for Your PTFE Wire
We stock Alpha PTFE electrical wire in our New Hampshire warehouse, and we can cut it to any length our customers request. Alpha Wire PTFE hook-up wire is resistant to all chemicals, used in high-temperature applications up to 200°C, has a low coefficient of friction and displays outstanding electrical properties.
When you buy from WesBell Electronics, we’ll set you up with expert assistance to help you find the right cable for the job. We also offer a wide range of preparation services so your wiring and cables are ready to install when they reach you.
Contact our team online if you have any questions!